Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ice Cream Birthday Cake

Taylor is a tough customer. He wanted an ice cream cake. Not just a cake with a layer of ice cream in it, which I've done before. Nope. He wanted an all ice-cream cake because he doesn't like cake.

Well, it took a while. But I finally got it done. Basically, I bought a tub of chocolate ice cream, and one of strawberry revel, which is his favorite. But because I wanted the cake to be soft, and not hard...I couldn't just cut the ice cream out of the tub and put it on the platter. So, I got out my kitchenaid, and mixed it up until it was at soft-serve state. I had to make this cake layer by layer. Just adding soft-serve ice cream to the platter, quickly shape it and then put it into the freezer. This took all day to slowly get the cake to be the right shape. Then for the frosting. I wanted to use strawberry revel, but by mixing that up it would make it PINK...not very boyish...so I had to add some food coloring to it. I came up with yellow, because I wasn't sure what green and pink would turn into. So, although this cake isn't as beautiful as some of the others I've made, it was very very tasty for a summer birthday! I finished off the borders with whipped topping and added sprinkles.


No comments: