Sunday, August 29, 2010

Placemat Handbags

Something that I learned how to make a few years ago, and which I've really enjoyed making ever since is placemat handbags. They are a really fun project for beginners, and make for some really fun gifts. You can make them into themes, for example a "Spa bag" filled with lotions, bath salts, facial masks, etc., or a "keep in touch" bag with stationary, pens, markers, stickers, envelopes...the possibilities go on and on. They are really fun.

You start out by watching the sales in local department and discount stores like WalMart, Target, Kohls, etc....and by them when they're cheap! As I'm typing right now, I have a stack of them in my craft room just ready to be made. I also watch for sales on ribbon and silk flowers...because that's what I like to use to make them cute.

So, you lay out your placemat, and decide if you're going to add anything to the front as embellishment, and add it on before you start any sewing. Then, you fold it in half so that the outside fabric is turned to the inside. Sew along each side edge, leaving the top open.

Sometimes, I sew the ribbon handles on before I sew the side seams, it just depends on what style I'm going to do. Once you have the side seams finished, you lay them out so that the bottom corner lies flat and sew straight across the bottom. This makes it so that the bag will have a definite "bottom," it will sit upright all by itself and you can easily place books, or other items into it. It just gives it a more finished look on the sides.


On this particular bag, I added a little ribbon bow just for an added accent.




And this one I made a little more bright with a silk flower accent.



No comments: