Sunday, August 29, 2010

Privacy Nursing Blanket

How many of us nursing mothers have ever tried to use a blanket to cover ourselves and the baby while trying to nurse! My biggest frustrations were always that the baby would wiggle, and I would always be adjusting the blanket to keep it in place, or that the poor little one would be too hot under there with no ventilation, or simply that I couldn't see my baby when I needed to.
I have a great friend who showed me a nursing blanket that she had been given as a gift. It was a fabulous idea, with a little boning in it to create a nice curve, with a little strap that goes around mom's neck and then snaps into place and wa-lah! A nursing blanket that provides privacy, but that also allows mommy and baby to be in comfort. And the best part, it only takes 1 yard of fabric.
So, I actually had this fabric scrap in my sewing room so this is what I used rather than going and buying more fabric. I believe that I started with about 1 1/4 yards. I trimmed the fabric so that it was a nice even rectangle.
The fabric that I cut off in order to make the actual blanket the dimensions I wanted I set aside to be made into the strap and also a burp cloth.
After I had the fabric trimmed, I hemmed it around three sides with a simple fold-over straight-stitched hem. I left the top side of the blanket untouched.After hemming the sides, I folded the top over and marked with pins where I wanted the boning to set. As you can see from the picture, it only took a small piece, just enough to create a little curve in the blanket. After marking with pins, I made a straight-stitch hem, securing the boning in as I went. Then to be sure the boning wouldn't slip, I went back and made just some small stitches on either end of the boning.I had some fabric left over, so I made this little burp cloth to match the blanket. I just made two rectangles the same size, and stitched them together, leaving one end open for turning. Finish stitched the end after turning, and then added some ribbon to embellish it a little bit. From this picture, you can see how the blanket will just naturally create a little "window" for mom and babe to peek through, while not compromising privacy at all. The strap I really liked, because my babies are wiggly, and I never had to worry about blanket flying off suddenly with a kick or wiggle. I wish I would have discovered these great blankets on the first baby!

No comments: