Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Table Runner

One of the projects I'm working on right now is a Christmas table runner. I have a lot of scrap fabric in my basement craft room that is just asking to be used for something! Years ago, I bought this fun book titled "336 Ten-Minute Quilt Blocks" and have only made one project with it since! So, I pulled it out and found two pages of Christmas Tree block patterns to make.


I went through my scraps and found colors that would coordinate well with each other and piled them on my table in different color groups. The Christmas decor that I use in my dining room area is casual and rustic...so these plaids and ginghams worked great with the overall theme of the room.
There are a total of six blocks, and each one is completely different in design, but each has the same colors so hopefully when the project is all done it will look nice.

First I made copies of the block patterns from the book, and then enlarged them to the desired size plus 1/4 inch for seams. Then I started cutting out the fabric pieces. To make sure that I didn't lose any pieces and that the pieces stayed with the right block, I used a ziplock bag for each quilt block. It was good that I did this because I had to put the project away after this step for a few days!

When I got around to sewing the pieces together...I was curious to see if they really only took "ten minutes" like the title of the book proclaims. I think I must be a little slow or something, because most took me at least 15-20 minutes. There were so many angles and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it took me a long time to get them right. I love how they turned out. They are each unique...and I think they'll make for a cute Christmas table runner in the end.

So these are just the raw quilt blocks.Next, I'll frame them in and then work on the border pieces.
And then think of some fun ways to embellish each block!




It's a fun season for crafting!

1 comment:

Jamie H. said...

These are SO cute! You always were a woman of many talents!