Monday, December 29, 2008

The Finished Table Runner

So I finished this project a couple of days before Christmas...whew! Just in time!

After I had each of the blocks completed and framed in with strips of fabric, I figured out what shape I wanted it to be and cut out blocks of coordinating fabric to complete the top. Here is the top, sewn in three strips, and ready to be sewn together.
After sewing the top together, I added a very thin border strip of dark green fabric.
I also added some little ribbon bows and buttons to the tops of the trees. I realize now that I didn't take a picture of the backing...but I backed it in the maroon checked fabric. I sewed the top to the backing with right sides together, leaving a small opening for turning. After turning and ironing, I edge-stitched the opening shut. Then on each block I used my machine applique stitch to border the trees...quilting the top and bottom together. I also machine-quilted around the entire edge and also around the inside rectangle-shaped block. I had some fun experimenting with some of the stitches on my machine.
This was such a fun project! I'm already thinking about making one for another Holiday...like 4th of July or something.

No comments: