Monday, December 29, 2008

Handbag, Tote, Scripture Bag

This year, one of the things that my little girl asked for for Christmas was some new scriptures and a scripture bag. I learned how to make these little bags a few years ago, and decided to make her one because they fit a set of scriptures perfectly.

First, I started out with a placemat. I chose one that was out of heavy fabric so that it would be durable, since it was for a little girl.
Then I chose some grosgrain ribbon for the handles, and also to use for decorating the front of the bag.
I also bought some silk flowers to use on the front, so I sewed the piece of ribbon on the front that would complete the ribbon/flower decoration on the front of the bag when it was complete.
Then I placed and pinned the ribbons for handles and sewed them on, right along the seamline of the placemat. Then I sewed the side seams, with right sides together.
Before opening out the bag, I folded down a corner on each bottom and sewed a straight strip along the triangle so that the bag would have a nice flat bottom.

I trimmed off the excess fabric and then zig-zag stitched so that it wouldn't be bulky on the inside.

Then I turned it right-side-out and attached the silk flower using my hot glue gun.

We've made these before with our young women groups, and they are a fun, easy project for them to do, everything is so simple and straightforward, that it is a good "first sewing project" for them to work on.

No comments: