Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Maternity Skirt

Something that has always annoyed me is maternity clothes. When I was pregnant with Taylor, 9 years ago, all of the maternity clothes seemed like a big huge tent you pulled over your head. How cute is that? Not very.

Now, I can usually find lots of really cute things, but because they're maternity they're priced triple what a normal misses sized the same thing would cost. How annoying is that? Anyway, this motivated me to get the courage to make my own...no, not from a maternity pattern because I really haven't seen any that I liked. So, I used one of my regular patterns that I really like and made the skirt one size bigger than my usual...then took a big gulp and cut a half moon shape off the front and then sewed in the spandex fabric to make the maternity panel. Whew! It worked! And it is now my favorite skirt. (I used Simplicity pattern #3796) I added some fun ribbon detail to the bottom edge and hem of the skirt, which makes it pretty fun and unique. The bottom ribbon was really easy, I just pressed it into the pleats, and then pinned it onto the skirt edge and sewed it on. It looks more complicated than it really was.





1 comment:

Bridi said...

So cute, I can't believe how talented you are. I wish you would be around for my next pregnancy. I would hire you! I love the one below for Rachel as well.